Golden Horseman, Dresden
The right bank of the Elbe in Dresden, called New Town, has lost much of its former beauty during the devastating bombing of the city in February 1945.Historic buildings in the baroque style, it was decided not to rebuild, so walking under a century-old plane trees the main street of the district - Hauptstrasse (Hauptstra?e), and stumbled at the end of her "Golden Rider" can not believe my eyes.
Elegant gilded equestrian statue of the Great Elector of Saxony and King of Poland, Augustus the Strong, gleaming in the sun like a jewel, dazzles, amazes and stuns at a time. Powerful ruler in the image of Julius Caesar, shimmering golden glow, jumps in Roman armor and with a laurel wreath on his head toward his conquered Poland.
According to the plan in August of the sculpture, which has become today a symbol of Dresden, was to marry the building blockhouse (special fortification).However, the "Golden Rider" made in the years 1732-34 by Ludwig Wiedemann from copper and then coated with a gold amalgam, in 1736 set on a huge pedestal near the town of New Market Square in August between the bridge and the street Hauptstrasse.
It is interesting that the people of Dresden are so valued their shining symbol of that already in 1943 dismantled the "Golden Rider" on the side and took the castle Pillnitz, which once served as the summer residence of all the same Augustus the Strong. Therefore, the monument did not hurt during the Anglo-American bombing. In 1953, the Horsemen were restored, and after three years, the sculpture took its place of honor near the Elbe.
Once in Dresden, find the strength a little bit away from the center, crossing the bridge in August, and look at the copper-plated image of Augustus the Strong, mentally partaking of luxury and grandeur of the former empire. Well, once in the New Town, is a sin not to go to the most beautiful dairy shop the world - Pfunda shop, located on Bautzner Stra?e 79.
Location: Germany, Dresden, Neustadter Markt.
|< Prev||Next >|